Home / Social Justice Clubs
Social Justice Clubs
The Manitoba Association for Rights and Liberties offers workshops on creating Social Justice Clubs in Manitoba schools.
Looking for a way to get your school involved in social justice issues? Check out our Social Justice Club Workshop. It just might be the answer to your needs!
Why Create A Club?
While many schools in this province show an interest in social justice issues, most do not have a structure in place to allow students to become involved with these issues. Schools frequently send students to social justice conferences but very little commitment arises out of these outings because nothing is in place to allow a follow through. With the forthcoming opening of the Canadian Human Rights Museum, activity in the area of human rights and social justice will only increase.
How Will Your Students Benefit?
Once a school has created a social justice environment, it has a pool of students who are willing and ready to be engaged beyond the borders of their school. Their social awareness prepares them for the social justice challenges in their community and beyond.
Students will :
- Have a better understanding of their community
- More involvement within their community and better community involvement within their school
- Be able to network more efficiently with clubs from other schools
- Be better equipped to participate in the MARLY Youth Leadership in Human Rights Project
- Have a better understanding of what the Canadian Museum for Human Rights has to offer
- Make better use of the numerous Social Justice and Human Rights conferences offered in Winnipeg (As they will have an existing structure in place, ideas gleaned from the conferences could be acted upon more efficiently and successfully within their school.
How Can MARL Help?
MARL will provide the school with the expertise necessary to organize and run a social justice Club. The MARL facilitator will work with students, staff and administrators to ascertain what the needs of the community are in order to create a club that reflects the values of the school and the division. The facilitator will offer workshops on how to:
- Involve students in social justice issues
- Create a Social Justice Club at the school
- Create a social justice environment within the school
- Involve the school in social justice issues
- Involve the community in social justice issues
- Create and develop projects related to these issues
- Make follow-up visits to offer support and resources if possible
Who Can Participate?
We offer these workshops to Junior High and High Schools in the city and surrounding areas*.
When Will it be offered?
We will be available to visit schools from October through May. The dates will depend on the availability of the facilitator. Please contact us for dates or for further information.