Home / Mission Statement
The mission of the Manitoba Association for Rights is to promote respect for and observance of fundamental human rights and civil liberties and to defend, extend and foster the recognition of these rights and liberties in the province of Manitoba.
What are our goals?
- To contribute to a social environment in which human freedom flourishes
- To ensure that human rights and civil liberties are known and understood
- To work towards the elimination of discrimination based on race, ethnic origin, culture, language, gender, physical and mental disabilities, sexual orientation, religion.
- To ensure that governments in their programs, institutions and legislation do not threaten human rights or civil liberties
- To ensure that people are not marginalized and/or left vulnerable to exploitation of their rights and freedoms
- To facilitate and encourage a social justice environment in Manitoba schools by offering relevant programs and resources.
What are we doing to cause the change?
- Supporting social justice clubs in high schools
- Providing a Human Rights Education Program
- Public education though events and publications
- Legislative review
- Research and publish policy papers on human rights issues
- Submit briefs to all levels of government
- Collaborating and supporting the work of other equality-seeking groups
- Provide referral and information to the public
- Media watch
Supporting and promoting multiculturalism & diversity through events